A snapshot of the South Side Parking Enhancement District
The proposed Parking Enhancement District in South Side will encompass not only metered and residential parking in the neighborhood, but also the way people are encouraged to move in and out of the community.
• Metered parking in the Historic District and the SouthSide Works will be extended until midnight.
• Initially, the cost per hour for the evening hours will be the same as during the day: $1.50 per hour. The amount may be adjusted up or down depending on how it affects parking. If there are too many open metered spaces, the cost per hour may be reduced.
• There will be no limit on the number of hours a driver may park at a meter. Currently the limit is two hours in South Side.
• Funds generated from the extended hours will be used, by statute, will be administered by the Dept. Public Safety for extra police and public works improvements in South Side.
• Numbered streets in the Residential Permit Parking Program (RPPP) in South Side will have their hours changed to 2:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. with enforcement beginning at 4:30 p.m.*
• Named streets in the RPPP will not have a change in hours.*
*Changes to the South Side RPPP are in a legislative process and will happen at a later date.
• There will be free parking in the Pittsburgh Parking Authority’s Second Avenue Lot after 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.
• The Circulator, a free shuttle bus, will operate on Friday and Saturday nights from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m.
• The Circulator will travel from 10th Street to 22nd Street with stops along East Carson Street only.
• Ride sharing and taxi stops will be at 17th and E. Carson and in the Second Avenue Lot. The 17th Street stop will have an expediter to help move people in and out.
• A “Safety Zone” will eliminate metered parking from 12th to 17th streets along E. Carson on Friday and Saturday evenings until 4 a.m. to allow for a pull-over lane. The lane is not intended for emergency vehicles to travel down, but for cars to pull over and let the police, fire or EMS get through.