South Side Church Crawl highlights 'Heart & Soul'
South Side’s faith communities will hold the 2016 Church Crawl on Sunday, April 10, from 1-5 p.m.
While the South Side is well-known for its bar crawls and tours, the Church Crawl welcomes people to learn the history of nine churches, view the artistic beauty and see how the faiths are alive today.
The free, guided tours will be held at the following locations, with free parking and shuttle service available:
Prince of Peace Parish (Roman Catholic) – St. Adalbert Church, 160 South 15th Street, St. Peter Church, South 28th & Sarah Streets. Parking available at both sites and at the Parish Center, 81 South 13th St.
• South Side Presbyterian Church, 1926 Sarah Street (at South 20th Street)
• St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church, 1720 Jane Street
• Holy Assumption of St. Mary Orthodox Church, 105 South 19th Street
• St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church (Byzantine Rite), 109 South 7th Street. Parking available.
• St. Paul of the Cross Monastery (Roman Catholic), 148 Monastery Avenue. Parking available.
• St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Church, 73 South 18th Street
• Hot Metal Bridge Faith Community, 2700 Jane Street
The churches will ring their bells simultaneously at 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., a practice known as the “Calling of the Bells.” Complimentary refreshments will be offered at various locations.
“We wanted to again open our church doors to the public to see the beauty of our buildings, hear our history and touch our faiths,” said Sharon Sobol of Prince of Peace Parish, an organizer of the event. “Hundreds of people who turned out last year were moved by the experience.”
“One couple married 65 years returned to the church where they began their lives together,” Ms. Sobol said. “Another couple walked from the North Hills as part of a spiritual journey to the South Side Church Crawl.”
To aid in planning, email the number in your group to email@example.com or call 412-422-9017. Visit http://www.PrinceOfPeacePittsburgh.org or http://www.StJohnsPittsburgh.com for more details.