Carrick High alumni honor distinguished graduates
The Carrick High School Alumni Association will designate 13 of its best and brightest as Distinguished Alumni at a luncheon at the South Hills Country Club on Sunday, Sept. 4.
Previously, two Carrick High graduates, both from the Class of February 1947 were designated Distinguished Alumni: Richard D. Kovar of Reston VA who has served in the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) as a commissioned officer and consultant for 60 years in hot spots throughout the world. He has also edited and written for Time-Life Books; and, William M. Waugh Jr. of Taos, NM, a retired Board Chairman of Babb & Co. and consulting principal of Mercer Inc. of Dallas, TX. Mr. Waugh and his wife have volunteered for the past 28 years with the Boy and Explorer Scouts and helping build medical missions in South America.
The September 4 event will be the Fifth Annual Distinguished Alumni program.
Honored at the luncheon will be:
• Raymond M. Very, Class of 1979, internationally acclaimed opera singer.
• Sarah L. Davis Sumpter, Class of 1968, elementary school principal, former Carrick High teacher and former Carrick High vice principal.
• Michael M. Dawida, Class of 1967, served as the last Allegheny County Commission chairman, former State Representative and former State Senator.
• Col. Howard "Knobby" Glock, Class of 1951, West Point and Georgia Tech graduate, Battalion Tank Commander during Vietnam War, 30 year U.S. Army veteran, All American high school football star.
• Dale Hershey Esq ., Class of 1959, Attorney, CMU teacher, graduate of Harvard Law School, Yale University.
• Patricia J. Sill Bibbee, Class of Feb. 1960, West Virginia's award winning interior designer; board member on a number of WV councils.
• Edgar A. Sack Jr ., Class of June 1947, retired chairman, CEO and president of Zilog Inc. a California micro chip manufacturer.
• Dr. Irvin R. Lindemuth Jr ., Class of 1961, retired asst. associate director of The USA-Russian Collaboration at the Los Alamos National Laboratories.
• Ronald D. Harris, Class of 1956, retired Westinghouse Electric executive; retired Major, U.S. Army Reserves; board member and tournament official of the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association.
• Sonya C. Klein Vernau, Class of 1951, former president and council member of the Brentwood Borough Council; former flower shop owner.
• John W. "Jack" Arensberg, Class of 1957, retired owner of Midland (MI) Corrosion Materials Inc. currently following an acting career in which he has played numerous roles.
• Harry A. Readshaw III, Class of 1959, current PA State Representative serving in his 18th year; he is chairman of the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (ALCOSAN ); owner of Carrick funeral home.
• James Lesko, Class of 1958, award winning industrial designer, Carnegie Mellon University graduate; has taught design at Pratt University and at Dongseo University in Busan, South Korea.