The Allegheny County Health Department is reminding county residents unintentional firearm deaths, especially involving children, can be prevented by taking simple precautions.
Health officials offer the following tips to prevent gun injuries and deaths:
• Keep firearms out of children's reach and in a locked cabinet, drawer or gun safe. Store keys and lock combinations separately and out of the reach of children.
• Use trigger locks and keep guns unloaded. Lock ammunition in a place separate from guns.
• Do not keep firearms in a home if someone has a history of depression or talks of suicide.
• Always assume that a gun is loaded. Be sure guns are unloaded when removed from storage.
• Take a gun safety course if you're a gun owner.
Children and guns are a dangerous combination. Everyone should teach children that if they find a gun they should stop, not touch it, leave the area and tell an adult where the gun is.