Late Night @ the Library Party celebrates renovations
The traditional rule of libraries may be "No talking, no dancing and definitely no loud music," but for one special night adult library enthusiasts can enjoy an after-hours party with those elements and more at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – South Side.
To kick-off a major renovation project, the library is hosting a Late Night @ the Library Party on Friday, May 20 from 7 – 10 p.m. Before crews begin renovation work on the library, at 2205 East Carson Street, customers 21 years or older are welcome to come out for an evening of food, drinks, dancing and fun.
Constructed in 1909, CLP – South Side was one of the city's first neighborhood libraries. In mid-summer, the building will undergo extensive updates, which will include the addition of a much-needed air conditioning system and the replacement of an antiquated heating system. Monumental front entrance stairs will be incorporated into the design to mimic the original plans of the library's main entrance.
The inclusion of an elevator, along with the installation of a user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing entrance ramp, will provide full access to all levels of the library. As with all Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh renovations, CLP – South Side will be built to LEED standards and will be fully accessible in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Late Night @ the Library ticket holders can:
• Sample food and drinks from local eateries, including the Double Wide Grill, Clique Vodka, FUZE, Ibiza Tapas & Wine Bar, Full Pint Brewing, Smiling Moose, The Zenith and The Goodie Truck.
• Enjoy music from DJ Carla Leininger and her international Global Beats.
• Bid on antique library furniture and memorabilia during an exclusive silent auction. Auction includes survival supplies from when the Library was a bomb shelter in the early 1960s, as well as tables, chalk boards, chairs, bookcases and unique memorabilia.
• Create cool craft projects (or purchase completed items) with I Made It Market crafters.
• Attend an After Party at The Library Restaurant and Bar, 2302 East Carson Street, with drink specials.
Tickets are available in advance for $40 until May 18 and may be purchased online at www.carnegielibrary.org/latenight, in person at CLP – South Side and CLP – Main in Oakland or by calling 412-622-6502. A limited supply of tickets will be available at the door on May 20 for $50.
Proceeds will benefit Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's renovation of CLP – South Side. Due to limited space, only 300 tickets will be sold.
Late Night at the Library sponsors include WYEP, 91.3FM and American Eagle Outfitters.