Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania, Inc., is asking customers to verify the credentials of anyone who may visit their home stating they are a Columbia Gas employee.
There are occasions in which Columbia Gas employees may need to enter a customer's home. These instances are almost always requested by the customer or arranged by the company in advance. It is perfectly acceptable and expected for customers to request photo identification or to call the company to verify. Columbia Gas also offers the following suggestions:
• It is normal and acceptable to ask for photo identification before allowing anyone into your home. All Columbia Gas employees and contractors carry identification cards with their name, photograph and identification number.
• If you are not sure about an employee's identification call Columbia Gas at 1-888-460-4332. The Customer Call Center is open 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week.
• Most Columbia Gas employees drive clearly marked vehicles that are easy to identify.
• Do not allow entry into your home to people who claim to offer a Columbia Gas refund or program enrollment. All account transactions are handled and verified over the phone and through the mail.
• Columbia Gas employees do not accept any form of payment at the customers' home. All payments must be made via mail, telephone or online.
• Report suspicious activity to 911.
Columbia Gas employees and contractors are trained to ensure that company identification is visible to all customers, when possible to park company vehicles in plain view of the customer, and to remain patient if customers are initially suspicious.