South Pittsburgh Reporter - Serving South Pittsburgh Since 1939

Practice fire safety during the winter heating season


October 28, 2008

With the winter and holiday seasons soon be upon us, the Mount Oliver Fire Department is reminding residents and visitors to be aware of a few fire safety practices.

Furnaces and space heaters should be in good working condition to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and very dangerous to our lives. Contact a qualified technician for an inspection.

Chimneys should be inspected and if necessary, cleaned. The build up of soot and carbon over time can be dangerous.

Keep children away from kerosene heaters when in use. All fuel containers should be kept in well ventilated areas outside of the home. Kerosene should be kept only in an approved container. Never use other fuels in place of kerosene for kerosene heaters.

Change the batteries in smoke detectors when changing the clocks for Daylight Savings Time. The price of a battery may save you the price of a house and a life. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors make great stocking stuffers.

When decorating a home with holiday lighting, use only U.L. approved products and proper indoor and outdoor extension cords. Do not overload outlets.

Plan and practice an escape plan. Know two ways out in the event of a fire, and have a family meeting area.

Contact Capt. Andy Marsh, Mount Oliver Fire Department Fire Department training officer, for more information about holiday fire safety. He may be reached at 412-431-5210 ext. 118.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017