Nancy J. Murray, of Bethel Park, has returned to ACHIEVA, serving as president of The Arc of Greater Pittsburgh.
Ms. Murray, who previously spent eight years at ACHIEVA, left in 2005 to serve as the area director for Western Program Operations of the Office of Developmental Programs, part of the Office of Public Welfare.
“It is a pleasure to return to ACHIEVA,” Ms. Murray explained. “Here I can directly support families and help them advocate for services.”
She has 30 years of experience in the disabilities field in the areas of public policy, advocacy, supports coordination, medical care and state government serving people with disabilities and their families. She received her bachelor's degree in psychology from Gettysburg college and her master's in child development from the University of Pittsburgh.
Ms. Murray has lent her expertise to numerous boards, committees and task forces, serving on:
• National Down Syndrome Congress Board of Directors (Director)
• Down Syndrome Group of Western Pennsylvania (President)
• Arc Allegheny Board of Directors (Officer)
• COMPRO Board of Directors (President)
• Planning Advisory Committee, Office of Mental Retardation, PA Department of Public Welfare
• Pennsylvania Waiting List Campaign and Self-Determination Committee
• Pennsylvania Executives of The Arc
• The Arc of Pennsylvania Board of Directors
• Allegheny County Special Olympics (President)
• The Arc of Pennsylvania Governmental Affairs Committee
• The Governor's MH/MR Advisory Council
Ms. Murray and her husband, Joe, are the parents of two adult children who have disabilities.