Arlington M-O-W honored with Food Safety Award
Arlington Meals on Wheels was one of eight county food establishments were honored as recipients of Allegheny County's 16th annual Excellence in Food Protection Awards. The awards were presented at a luncheon at the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto on Mount Washington.
“The winners were selected for exceptional efforts in food safety and sanitation, exhibiting an uncompromising commitment to providing consumers with safe and wholesome food,” said Ron Blazosky, Chairman of the County Food Advisory Board, which presents the annual awards along with the County Health Department.
The awards were presented to:
• Arlington Meals on Wheels, which provides hot and cold meals five days a week to homebound residents of Pittsburgh's Arlington neighborhood.
• Community LIFE (Living Independently for Elders), Homestead, which operates a center providing frail elderly adults with health care, social services, meals and other services.
• The Gathering Place at Domremy Pavilion, the social center and banquet hall of St. Joan of Arc Church, South Park Township.
• GetGo, Brentwood, a convenience store owned and operated by Giant Eagle.
• Life Pittsburgh, which provides a comprehensive package of home-based and community-based services to frail elderly adults on Pittsburgh's North Shore.
• Max & Erma's Restaurant, O'Hara, a full-service casual dining restaurant in RIDC Park.
• OK Grocery, Crafton, a storage facility distributing produce, dairy, deli and floral products to 144 Giant Eagle supermarkets in four states.
• South Fayette Middle School, food service provider for students attending the school.
Arlington Meals on Wheels, the Brentwood GetGo, Life Pittsburgh, OK Grocery and South Fayette Middle School are first-time winners; Community Life is a two-time winner; Max and Erma's and the Gathering Place At Domremy Pavilion are three-time winners.
The winners were selected from 12 finalists by an independent panel of judges representing the Food Advisory Board, which is a 26-member committee of food industry representatives who work with the Health Department to promote food safety.